I had forgotten my Serzone (depression/anxiety medication) that I’d been on for over a decade. And just like that, without intending to, I set the tone for the entire year to follow.
I had tried to come off many times before with terrible results. I braced for the mental struggles to come.
But they never did.
After years of work and spiritual practice, my brain was apparently firing differently than it once did. The drugs were a huge help to me, and I reserve the right to go back at any time, but ever since that weekend in Mexico, I have been off prescription drugs.
Since I was free of my pharmaceutical crutch for the first time in 12 years, I wanted to start the new decade free from my “persona” crutch, as well. So the week before 2010 started, on the night of the winter solstice, I shaved my head.
After 6 years of having bright pink hair, I cut it all off.
I started 2010 reborn and raw.
- Learned a bunch about myself without the pink.
- Attended the magical “Fuente Eterno” gathering and skipped SXSW for the first time.
- Attended Lightning in a Bottle Festival, Elysium, & San Diego Decom
- Fell in love with Blicious.
- When The HugMobile broke down and needed a new engine…the community flooded me with Love…and $5000.
- Re-pinked my hair.
- Officiated a traditional wedding in San Diego & a non-traditional one at Burning Man.
- Participated in my 13th Burning Man.
- Lots of amazing Uncle Time.
- Lots of fun times with my folks.
- Published my first book, “Love more. Fear less.”
- Got an awesome 2 day/week gig at MySpace
- Recorded 13 episodes of “Belief Buffet: Conversations” with Dmitry Shapiro. (And countless non-recorded mind-bending convos.)
- Broadcast a live HugNation every freakin’ Tuesday. Started doing some Happy Hour and Sunday broadcasts, too. Posted hours & hours of edited archive footage.
- Hosted a Monthly “Burner Brunch” – every 1st Sunday.
- Participated in an Ayahuasca Ceremony.
- Met twice a month with my life coach & Listened to every Sunday lecture by Jacob Glass.
- Started a monthly “Help The Homeless” event with Jason.
Our 11th outing (Dec’s) attracted 45 big-hearted participants who helped out countless people in need.
- Spent LOTS of energy (and connected with lots of people) on Facebook.
- Froze some sperm & got a vasectomy.
- Posted my Top 10 oddest achievements.
- Loved deeply.
Life just gets better and better.
The Now feels more and more miraculous.
My sense of Awe deepens.
My gratitude soars.
My heart continues to expand.
Thank you for being a part of the journey.
-john halcyon styn
(book & LiB photos by Mike Hedge